,When shipping a vehicle, especially for the first time, it’s easy to get lost in details. Luckily, we’ve put together a few high points to help you tick all the boxes and start your vehicle shipping journey without feeling overwhelmed.
Car shipping checklist
- Find a vehicle shipping company. This is the first step in your car shipping journey. Most people search for local companies. First-hand recommendations are a great source. You can start by asking family, friends, and colleagues. If that yields no result, turn to Google for help. In your search for an auto transport company, you’ll come across brokers, carriers, lead providers, and auction websites. We recommend you to stay away from the last two.
- Request car shipping quotes. Next step – request quotes from at least three different companies. Multiple quotes, from multiple companies, will give you the chance to compare prices and figure out the average, which usually is the realistic current market price.
- Ask about an insurance policy. Especially, if you’re shipping a highly valuable vehicle. To operate legally, every carrier has to have an insurance policy that will cover any possible damages. Inquire about the limits of coverage.
- Hire a reliable auto transport company. To avoid car shipping scams, make sure you hire a licensed and insured company. Check their USDOT and FMCSA license numbers and make sure they are active.
- Decide on pick-up and delivery dates. When you book your car shipping service you have to decide on pickup and delivery dates. Keep in mind that these are always estimates. Should you require guaranteed dates, it will often cost more.
- Choose between open and enclosed auto transport. Enclosed auto transport prevents all weather and road elements, including possible rock chips, storms, and dust from harming your vehicle. However, open auto transport rarely presents a problem and is usually more affordable. Discuss your options with your vehicle relocation expert.
- Read your contract. With most auto transport companies, the contract is the confirmation email. In this email, you will find the terms and conditions. You may also have access to terms and conditions on your auto shipper’s website.
- Prepare your vehicle for transport. This is an important step after you have booked your service. To sum it up, you have to clean your vehicle inside and out and remove any loose parts, so the driver can perform an inspection.
- The inspection report from the driver. The Bill of Lading is an important document that also serves as an inspection report. At pick up and delivery, inspect your car together with the carrier driver and make sure to note all the irregularities on the Bill of Lading. In the unlikely case of damages, you will need the document to file an insurance claim.
- Establish transit time. The auto transport company will give you approximate transit time after pick-up. However, keep in mind that unforeseen delays may happen; therefore, you will only get an estimated time of transit.
We hope this car shipping checklist helps to make your vehicle shipping journey a breeze. To learn more about the industry, browse our website and review our car shipping guides. You can request your free, no-obligation quote online, call us at (818) 850 5258 or chat with us online. Our logistics experts are here daily to help you with your vehicle shipping needs.