Have you bought a car across the country and need to bring it home? Planning a coast-to-coast move and looking for the best way to transport your vehicle? In both cases, considering the long distance and your time availability, shipping your car would be the most efficient and secure option.
In this post, we’ll share our expertise and offer a few useful tips for shipping a car across the country. Although moving across the multiple state lines is not a trivial process, shipping your car can be a simple process if you stick to certain rules.
What is the cheapest way to ship a car across the country?
The cost to ship a car depends on several factors including the distance, type of car, carrier type, and most importantly, supply and demand on a given route. Take, for example, shipping a car from California to Florida. This is almost a 3,000-mile distance, which, at first, may scare you in terms of potential costs. However, there are some ways you can bring them down and still get the best value for your money.
First of all, if you plan in advance, you won’t need to rush and worry about expediting your shipment, which often involves premium costs. Consult your auto shipping agent for the best times to transport your vehicle and score the best deal.
Secondly, open carriers are usually cheaper than enclosed carriers. In fact, open auto transport is the standard car shipping solution. Open-air carriers are readily available, and most customers prefer this service due to its availability and affordability. Unless you are shipping a collectible or high-end automobile, look no further than open auto transport.
Thirdly, if your destination is not on a mainstream route, you can meet the truck driver near the closest major city or truck stop and then drive your car from there. This way, you will not only save money but also time. However, this option will work only if the car is in normal driving condition.
Can I ship a car with items inside?
It is normal that as you prepare to ship your car, you may want to put a few items in it and conveniently ship them along. However, keep in mind that shipping a few extra items with your car may not only turn out to be more expensive, but it can also go against the rules set by the Department of Transportation. Some reasons are: the car haulers do not have a license to ship certain cargo, other items may be considered illegal.
Moreover, having dangerous items in your car may damage its interior, and your insurance company will not cover these damages. Therefore, make sure to check your vehicle hauler’s policy on shipping personal items with your car, in order to be in compliance with the rules and avoid any inconveniences.
How long does it take to ship a car across the country?
On average, shipping a car across the country takes about 7-10 days. However, the exact delivery time depends on the weather, traffic delays, or truck itinerary for other cars, among other variables.
Open auto transport is usually the fastest service due to high availability. Shipping via a single-car carrier may also yield faster delivery but at a higher cost. The important part is to choose a reliable auto transport company, where clear, honest, and timely communication is king, hence gives you easy access to your car shipping status.
How to ship my car across the country?
Shipping a car across the country will be a breeze if you follow these seven important tips:
1. Find a reliable auto transport company. Check reviews, ask around and speak with the companies’ reps to get an idea about their customer service. Limit your selection to at least three companies.
2. Obtain a shipping quote. Do not be afraid to ask how the shipping quote is calculated and what it includes. Price transparency is important in establishing trust. Do not settle for the lowest price at the expense of service quality.
3. Inquire about insurance coverage during transport. Even though you may have your own car insurance, it is always a good idea to check what the company’s liability insurance covers.
4. Provide pick-up and drop-off information. Give the relocation agent the exact drop-off and delivery locations, as well as your first available date for pick-up.
5. Choose the type of carrier. The usually available options are an open carrier, enclosed carrier, single-car carrier, and also upper-deck option.
6.Prepare your car for shipping. Clean and empty your vehicle, check the brakes and steering. If your car is equipped with an alarm, prepare instructions for the carrier on how to properly deactivate it.
7. Inspect the car before and after delivery. Make sure the car condition is good before you sign the Bill of Lading, and don’t forget to get your copy of the document before the driver leaves the site.
Should you have more questions about shipping a car across the country or would like to get a free quote, Corsia Logistics vehicle relocation experts will be happy to assist! Drop us a line or call (818) 850 -5258. We know that your car is precious to you and you can rest assured it will be in good hands with us.
Ship with Corsia – ship with peace of mind!