What documents do I need when shipping a car?
When shipping a car from Wisconsin to California, you or someone on your behalf must release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up.
The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is a receipt and an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check that all existing damages are marked before you sign. Never sign a blank or incomplete document.
What should you know before you move to California?
Undoubtedly, moving from Wisconsin to California presents you with a challenge. On the one hand, you leave behind the weather of the north. On the other hand, you also have to face a substantial change in culture.
If you are a snowbird, you already know what to expect. However, if you are just about to move, without ever being a long-term citizen of the Golden State, there are a couple of things to note.
California is not homogeneous. It covers a vast area, which also means a variety of different people and lifestyles. One may say that Southern California is the artist’s paradise, while Northern California welcomes tech enthusiasts. This is still too general, but you get the idea.
Keep in mind that climate stereotypes do not apply everywhere in California. For example, people do not usually consider the northern parts to be representative of that Golden Californian sunshine.
What are the pros and cons of moving from Wisconsin to California?
Before we list out all the details, you have to realize this: cost of living in California will be higher. Many people know this, yet still feel taken aback once they start living there. So just keep it in mind. Now let us check out the other differences!
Pros of moving to California:
- Weather – Forget about the harsh winters. This is one of the main reasons people enjoy this place.
- Career opportunities – Though you can have good career development in Wisconsin, many fields continue to thrive in California. This is one of the main reasons people move there.
- Year-round outdoor activities – If you enjoy nature, you can experience it in full glory all year round. Plus, you can go skiing one day, surfing the next – not many places allow such a thing!
- Better food – Although more expensive, you can get fresh produce throughout the year. Health nuts find it a great place to live too.
Cons of moving to California:
- Traffic – California is densely packed, plus it simply requires you to have a car. Those two factors make the traffic in the cities quite bad during peak hours.
- Substantial lifestyle changes – This may be either a pro, or a con, but it will still challenge you in the beginning. Expect a more laidback approach to life. Though with a lot of diversity, you can still find your group of people.
- Disjointed communities – If you are used to the midwestern sense of community, you will not find the same in California. Being so diverse, it also means that people are more individualistic in general.
Moving to California with a car
Once you move to California, you will have to register your car in 20 days. However, the sooner the better, so go to your nearest California DMV for vehicle registration and get through with the process.
Here at Corsia Logistics we are always ready to help you with transporting your car. Give us a call or get your free quote online today!